• Welcome to the forums, Guest. Please note that you must make a post in the introduction thread and upload an avatar to gain full access to the forums.

Building muscle during Lockdown.

Sin Silver

Since lock down started I've been either running or performing HITT 5 to 6 times a week. It's been a major boost to my mental and physical health. Being on this forum has made me REALLY want to put on some muscle.

At the gym, I always like to focus on the big three (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) but saddly, the only thing I have at home is a exercise bench (non adjustable, always parallel to the ground)

I expect their is a good 1 to 3 months before gyms are open again, so I'd really appreciate your advice on how I can put that muscle on without investing a huge amount in a temporary kit.

For upper body, I go to a park and do pullups and pushups in the playground area/monkey bars. Or even better find an outdoor pull up bar.

For lower body, I do plyometrics.

Having access to a gym is not a reason to not build muscle.

Can't speak about your country, but in Poland the gyms have been open for 2 weeks now, so there is hope for faster opening!

Try doing calisthenics alternatives to the gym machine exercises. Eg - do pullups/chinups instead of lateral pulldowns, pushups instead of bench press.

Disclaimer: I am not gym expert by any means. Just sharing my personal experience about the at home workout.

Didn't get the sort of answers I wanted, but then I didn't answer the right question.

I do a lot of body weight exercises, I've been doing HITT with Mr. PMA and Joe Wicks 2/3rd of the days since lock down started. My stamina and strength have definitely increase doing them to a point, but I feel I have definitely plateaued, and I'm not sure how to move forward.

If I was in the gym, I would definitely be looking at increasing the weight or number of reps, but naturally these are weightless exercise, following a strict time limit, rather than a rep limit.

I'm thinking of abandoning the HITT time limit, and instead doo 20 X 4 press ups for 1 week, then increasing to 22 x 4 When I can nail that, as part of a larger work out routine. Any opinions?

Jocko Willinck has a video for buying equipment for a home gym. I suggest watching it.

If you only had $150 you can buy a pullup bar, rings, a jump rope, foam pads for the jump rope so it doesn't wear the rope out, and a kettlebell. I just ordered a set of rings and plan on splitting time between the gym and my local park. With the latter I can save a bit of time since I'm pressed for time.

If you want to ball out then get everything Jocko suggests. I personally don't have the money or space for a squat rack.

Good also shouldn't be the enemy of perfect. I prefer working out at the gym as psychologically I'm trying to impress other people.

Back