• Welcome to the forums, Guest. Please note that you must make a post in the introduction thread and upload an avatar to gain full access to the forums.

Dopamine detox for mental health

From what I read it's like Nofap but it applies to Netflix, Diet, and every kind of vice.

Are you guys familiar with dopamine detox? Do you have any advice on how to start?

Yeah, so in my opinion, these are great, but for reasons which the folks persuing dopamine detoxes may not be aware of.

When one limits use of technology, and avoids overly stimulating activities that give people dopamine hits, they are limiting the adverse effects of modern technology and if they combine this with the right activities for increasing dopamine (being outdoors, spending time in nature, among other things) they can increase dopamine

Dopamine is VERY IMPORTANT for making change

WIth low dopamine, you are absolutely stuck and unable to act. The truth can be right in front of your face, but you will do fuck all about it.

Modern technology, blue light, artificial light, among other things really destroy our dopamine levels by sending dysfunctional data into our photoreceptors and disrupting circadian biology, causing cell chaos.

Limiting tech, switching ALL screens to night shift, seeing the morning sunrise, and wearing blue blockers 3hrs before bed is a fantastic recipe for rebuilding dopamine, building savage levels of motivation and inner drive, and truly becoming a goal crusher.

I think this is great, and I have done a lot of work on dopamine myself. Go for it!

MAC

https://youtu.be/wK-s2qBU40A?t=793
Haven't tried it personally, but I've watched this video from HealthyGamerGG on the subject and found it to debunk a whole lot of myths and easy misunderstandings

One of the key points that I remember is:
You can't really detox, as in remove, dopamine from your brain. Doing so would be fatal, as dopamine is a neuro transmitter you need in order for your brain to function normally. (crappy paraphrasing here but hopefully you get the idea).

I know this is contrarian, but all the detox stuff to me is complete nonsense. The only sustainable way to do bad things less is by doing good things more. Focus on doing the things you should be doing, set thresholds you have to meet. If you meet those, do whatever the hell you want in the short time periods you have hard-earned for leisure.

If you spend X hours a day on <insert time waster>, even if you decide to quit and are successful, how are you going to fill those X hours now? Unless you have some clear vision, it will just be filled with a different flavor of time waster.

Back