• Welcome to the forums, Guest. Please note that you must make a post in the introduction thread and upload an avatar to gain full access to the forums.

Hi guys, newbie needing advice on flattening stomach

Mat_N_Yorks

Hi guys,

So, I'm new to the site, and would like some advice.

I'm trying to make myself more "marketable" on Online Dating, and I have a plan of action :)

I have a bit of a colloquial "beer belly" though, arms, legs, face etc is proportioned.

I am looking to get this flat, and firmer.

I have already very recently started the following:
Totally cutting snacks

Ensuring meals are sensible (including taking salad rather than sandwiches packed lunch to work)

Ensuring my evening meal is not later than 4 hours before bed (slower metabolism at night?)

I am looking to loose about 20lbs, and cutting out "the crap" will do it, as I lead a fairly busy life.

My main question is:

Can you recommend any simple and achievable exercises, I can do at home, to firm up my stomach area?

Didn't read your post, only the title.

Eat once a day, you have 15 minutes to eat everything that you can. After that 15 minutes is up, you cannot eat until tomorrow. Only liquids like orange juice or water.

In a month, you should have a six pack

l0vebone said:

Eat once a day, you have 15 minutes to eat everything that you can. After that 15 minutes is up, you cannot eat until tomorrow. Only liquids like orange juice or water.

this is false. Eating once a day won't make you leaner. For the most part, it's about getting into a caloric deficit. There are other factors (endocrine system and genetics, which body fat distribution). Eating once a day/intermittent fasting will facilitate eating less, but it's not a necessary condition. Btw, drinking orange juice does break a fast, it has way too many calories and the same or less nutritional value than the solid fruit (which gives more saciety)
To achieve a six pack, you need to be 8-10% body fat, at 10-12% you will have a hint of a six pack. I assume you are 20-25%, so it should take 6 months minimum, 500kcal of deficit everyday. Doing excercise will increase your daily caloric use, although diet is way more important. You just need to be really really consistent and honest with yourself. What you don't measure, you can't improve. Weigh yourself in the scale and do a weekly average. Download myfitnesspal and log your food daily. If you are obsessive, use a scale to weigh your food, we are really good at bullshiting ourselves.

... Yes, I thought the eating once a day, rather than 3 x spaced but measured and sensible might meals, have been counter intuitive (been reading up, a bit on metabolism, as I really want to meet my goal, and get a GF/LTR)

... My understanding is over fasting puts you into semi survival mode, and the slightest hint of food afterwards, your body tries to replenish reserves, and pile it back???

I'm going to stick to 3 meals a day, but be very fussy and careful... Its going to be a long road, and I'd rather go slowly and see results, than crash diet then rebound :)

I agree fat loss is about diet more so than exercises like crunches.

I'd also add at your age I would consider TRT. There's a lot of resources to go that route such as Jay Campbell's books.

Hopefully you got your testosterone levels checked in recent years to establish a baseline?

l0vebone said:

Or anorexia.

In both cases - flat stomach.

l0vebone said:

Leaving aside whether this method works/is sensible/is in anyway sustainable

You cant just promise a guy on an internet forum abs in 4weeks when you dont even know his baseline

Also 23 hr 45 min daily fasting is one of the more out there pieces of advice ive seen thrown at a newbie

Nope I've never had that checked, just yearly U&Es, FBC, Glucose, Criatanine & LFT healthcheck bloods...

It's not a routine NHS test, and my GP would probably shoo me out the door if I asked for that

Mat_N_Yorks said:
Nope I've never had that checked, just yearly U&Es, FBC, Glucose, Criatanine & LFT healthcheck bloods...

It's not a routine NHS test, and my GP would probably shoo me out the door if I asked for that

Just google testerone level check UK. We do have some private health here. You might have to pay a little for it but so what if its something you want to know about and could greatly impact your life

Fuck the bog standard NHS GPs tbh. Take control of your health

Sisyphus said:
l0vebone said:

this is false. Eating once a day won't make you leaner. For the most part, it's about getting into a caloric deficit. There are other factors (endocrine system and genetics, which body fat distribution). Eating once a day/intermittent fasting will facilitate eating less, but it's not a necessary condition. Btw, drinking orange juice does break a fast, it has way too many calories and the same or less nutritional value than the solid fruit (which gives more saciety)
To achieve a six pack, you need to be 8-10% body fat, at 10-12% you will have a hint of a six pack. I assume you are 20-25%, so it should take 6 months minimum, 500kcal of deficit everyday. Doing excercise will increase your daily caloric use, although diet is way more important. You just need to be really really consistent and honest with yourself. What you don't measure, you can't improve. Weigh yourself in the scale and do a weekly average. Download myfitnesspal and log your food daily. If you are obsessive, use a scale to weigh your food, we are really good at bullshiting ourselves.

Did you miss the part where I said he has 15 minutes to eat his one meal a day? It would be impossible for anyone to get anywhere near maintenance doing that. The reason I said he can drink OJ/milk/or have a strawberry shake or something, is because he's going to get into an extreme deficit.

As for the rest, slow cuts are just bro science. Gaining muscle and losing fat are two different things completely. When youre gaining muscle you can only gain so much at a time, so you want to have a very small surplus. When youre losing fat, you can go as hard as your mental wants to take you, doing extreme deficits.

"But wait, you will lose muscle!" No, you will lose an equal amount of muscle going fast, or going slow. The mechanisms of losing fat are different than gaining muscle. As long as youre working out you will retain the same amount of muscles. There is no reason to stretch a cut to 3 months when you can have the same results in 1.

Lostcause said:
l0vebone said:

Or anorexia.

In both cases - flat stomach.

Pretty much. If I'm fat, I would much rather be anorexic and start with that as base then do a prolonged cut with a prolonged bulk. You would get results much quicker. 1 month cut + 4 months clean bulk then and repeat this cycle every 5-6 months.

Cutting -> youre able to do it as fast as you can handle,
Bulking -> is limited by your bodies genetics.

How much muscle your retain on a cut will be the same if you are doing extreme deficit or a prolonged 3 month+ cut.
This has been my experience watching tons of professional fighters do extreme cuts, theyve all retained their muscle and strength.

There was another jacked + ripped guy on here who echoed the same sentiment.

Long cuts are just torture and come from a position of ignorance. Why spend 3 months doing something you can do in 1 month, just so its a little bit easier? The only time I would recommend someone a long cut is if they don't have the mental game to tough it out for 1 month and would go back to binge eating as soon as the cut is over. Personally, I like instant results and have no problem forcing myself to do things that I don't like.

Radical said:
l0vebone said:

Leaving aside whether this method works/is sensible/is in anyway sustainable

You cant just promise a guy on an internet forum abs in 4weeks when you dont even know his baseline

Also 23 hr 45 min daily fasting is one of the more out there pieces of advice ive seen thrown at a newbie

Being extremely low body fat is not sustainable for most people. Point is, you get to where you want (for most people ,this would take a month) then you get back to clean bulking (small surplus.)

Human's are literally evolved to go long periods of time without food. What's out there is our current diets. The diet im proposing was probably the status quo for the majority of our existence.

If anyone is interested, look at my log, I've uploaded a picture of where I'm at now (around 15% bf) I will show you my results in a month, at least a 5% bf drop.

Mat_N_Yorks said:
... My understanding is over fasting puts you into semi survival mode, and the slightest hint of food afterwards, your body tries to replenish reserves, and pile it back???

Nah this is false. It's all calories in, calories out. Eating a big meal might make you retain water or fill up your glycogen and you may temporarily think that you lost your results but in a days time you will see that youre exactly where you were before

Right....but if he is at like 30% bf the only thing getting him to abs in a month is liposuction

l0vebone said:
Pretty much. If I'm fat, I would much rather be anorexic and start with that as base then do a prolonged cut with a prolonged bulk. You would get results much quicker. 1 month cut + 4 months clean bulk then and repeat this cycle every 5-6 months.

How much muscle your retain on a cut will be the same if you are doing extreme deficit or a prolonged 3 month+ cut.
This has been my experience watching tons of professional fighters do extreme cuts, theyve all retained their muscle and strength.

Long cuts are just torture and come from a position of ignorance. Why spend 3 months doing something you can do in 1 month, just so its a little bit easier? The only time I would recommend someone a long cut is if they don't have the mental game to tough it out for 1 month and would go back to binge eating as soon as the cut is over. Personally, I like instant results and have no problem forcing myself to do things that I don't like.
As a former borderline anorexic Person I would rather be fat and just cut down, but whatever grinds your gears I guess

Radical said:
Right....but if he is at like 30% bf the only thing getting him to abs in a month is liposuction

fair enough I suppose it would take longer if youre extremely obese, but my main take away was that it doesnt have to be a prolonged process, you can cut aggressively for faster results, without losing muscle:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25028999/

"In a study they conducted, they split their subjects–20 to 35 year-old national and international level track and field jumpers and sprinters with low levels of body fat (at or under 10%)–into two groups: a daily calorie deficit of 300 calories (about 12% below their total daily energy expenditure) and a daily calorie deficit of 750, with both groups following a high-protein diet.

After 4 weeks, the results were surprising: the athletes utilizing a 300-calorie deficit lost very little fat and muscle while the group utilizing a 750-calorie deficit lost, on average, about 4 pounds of fat and very little muscle."

l0vebone said:
Did you miss the part where I said he has 15 minutes to eat his one meal a day? It would be impossible for anyone to get anywhere near maintenance doing that. The reason I said he can drink OJ/milk/or have a strawberry shake or something, is because he's going to get into an extreme deficit.
Which is exactly what I said, intermittent fasting can help you achieve a caloric deficit, but it is not a neccesary condition.

l0vebone said:
As for the rest, slow cuts are just bro science. Gaining muscle and losing fat are two different things completely. When youre gaining muscle you can only gain so much at a time, so you want to have a very small surplus. When youre losing fat, you can go as hard as your mental wants to take you, doing extreme deficits.

Discounting the mental factor is nonsense. We definitely have limited amounts of will power/mental resources to achieve our goals (although I do believe this is highly variable, too). You say you have no problem doing hard things in a faster/more intense way. Good. I never say "don't do that", I'm saying, it's unnecesary. It's WAY better do a "slow cut" (500kcal is not a slow cut though) than to do nothing.

l0vebone said:
"But wait, you will lose muscle!" No, you will lose an equal amount of muscle going fast, or going slow. The mechanisms of losing fat are different than gaining muscle. As long as youre working out you will retain the same amount of muscles. There is no reason to stretch a cut to 3 months when you can have the same results in 1.

I'm not gonna argue about the science part, it's better if someone more experienced in the fitness area can comment on this (although I do believe there's a limited amount of fat you can burn/week, if you go too far I do believe you can lose muscle and strength, your workouts are not gonna be the same as if you were on a smaller deficit and your metabolism will adapt, so it will become harder to keep losing fat, but I'm not argue for that), but I'm gonna point out that I never even mentioned gaining or losing muscle in my comment and I don't think intermittent fasting will cause muscle loss.

l0vebone said:

I don't agree with Lostcause, being in a caloric deficit or doing intermittent fasting doesn't mean you are anorexic, that's just a pop culture prejudice(although I can see how an anorexic person and a bodybuilder can have similar motivations, or being too extreme with bodybuilding can lead you to develop food disorders or body dismorphia). But don't say anorexia is a better starting base than doing a slow cut. How can having a mental disease be worse than achieving your goals slowly?

l0vebone said:

>my experience
>watching tons of professional fighters

comparing a professional fighter to a lay person is nonsense, you don't know if they are under PEDs or not (they are). Also, how do you know they didn't lose muscle? When someone is leaner, they may appear bigger because the form of the muscles isn't hidden beneath a layer of fat, but it is an optical illusion. How do you know they didn't lose strength? Do you know their PRs before and after a cut? Where is the evidence of all the stuff you are saying?

I've been in various martial arts for 10+ years now, I've seen fighters from boxing, to Muay Thai, to MMA, get ready for fights. Some of them are on PED's, others aren't. Theyre pretty open with me because I'm the one that's training them when they're getting ready for their fights, which is why I know whose juicing and whose not (not only that, but their performance as well. It's easy to tell when someone youve been training years with hops on a cycle because theyre completely different in every aspect of their game)

Ive seen them go from 15 or so bf% to 9-10 within 4-6 weeks time, consistently every time they fight.

With that being said, with my own experiences cutting, and watching tons of fighters cut, aggressive cuts do work, and they are better.... because... they get you results faster. I posted a study right above your post. I only felt the need to point out that you wont lose muscle because a lot of people think that if you cut slower youre going to be maintaining more muscle, when thats not true. Even the little muscle you do lose when cutting aggressively its still better because youre cutting less and can hop back on a bulk months ahead of time.

Anyways I'm done with this, I don't really feel the need to explain myself. If you have a strong mental game, cut more aggressively for faster results and clean bulk afterwards. If you have a weak mental game, enjoy your prolonged cut which will probably suck ass because you're doing it for way longer anyways and still feeling hungry, you're better off doing it fast and getting it over with.

This is just my experience, you can take my advice or not it doesnt really matter. Peace.

The 15 minutes one meal a day plan sounds like torture, regardless of "mental game" and no I dont generally binge eat, just eat crap too often.

I am taking the longer game plan, as also this is more sensible to establish permanent changes in diet habits..

... A 3 to 6 month stint of sensible eating, will become second nature as the diet habits will feel normal and ingrained, rather than having a month feeling like I'm a prisoner of war
(lockdowns/restrictions + one meal a day, literally will feel like that)

I've stopped snacks, and have adjusted meal volume and content, plenty of online guides out there with sensible eating plans ...

I am using the GF/LTR goal as my motivation, and also, for example what I dont spend on the sandwich/snack truck that visits my workplace, on snacks is going into a savings pot, for a style revamp, so I have the reward of a new wardrobe for the slimmer me at the end of this (actually there is no end, as the diet habits should be ingrained!)

You can lose a lot of muscle while cutting. That should be obvious since on a purely water fast muscle tissue is broken down to supply protein until death after > 21 days (Gandhi's longest fast).

It makes sense trained athletes how have gone through many bulk/cut cycles adapt to lose little muscle mass on their cuts. Less obvious its the best solution for a first cut.

Study on muscle lost during a 21 y/o bodybuilder's first cut
This strategy resulted in a body mass loss of 11.7 kg’s, corresponding to a 6.7 kg reduction in fat mass and a 5.0 kg reduction in fat-free mass.
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-015-0083-x

However, especially if you're at higher bodyfat percentage, you can lose a lot of fat and not a ton of muscle (according to an article I read that cited the classic Minnesota study...which is a book and I haven't found the relevant section yet. Will do so when I have.

Overall, the best diet / cutting strategy depends on individual adherence to the program in addition to the program being the best theoretically possible.

OP, let us know how your journey goes. Iterate to perfection.

Deferring to dc7 is definitely a good idea with regards to body comp

Even Chris admitted he surpassed him in that area and Chris was also highly credentialed

Back