• Welcome to the forums, Guest. Please note that you must make a post in the introduction thread and upload an avatar to gain full access to the forums.

Protein Powder = Dream physique?

Are protein shakes the equivalent of bodybuilding on easy mode or just extra calories? I'm considering buying some whey, so I'm evaluating if it's a wise investment...

What are your experiences if you have?

If you struggle getting your daily protein intake in (especially if you're aiming for muscle hypertrophy with training), then yes, they help. If you can already meet the intake without them, then you don't NEED to drink them (avoid drinking your calories in general if cutting). You can also use whey protein powder in more creative ways, like using them for protein ice cream or making pancakes with them.

At the end of the day, you need both protein and a good workout plan to stimulate muscle growth. Half assing (or skipping) your workouts won't be saved by whey protein shakes.

Getting adequate protein every day is going to be important if you are on the grind with the KYIL gang because we optimise our physiques here as per the sermon of Lord Andy and Lord Radical.

You will need to be lifting weights in the gym 3-4x a week, and incorporating some cardio 1-2 a week.

Stretching, mobility, and core work can also be part of your process.

You will need to nail a diet down for yourself and be consistent. This is how we live. We want to be in great shape for decades and live well.

Whey powders are great.

You can also increase your protein intake and also gain some wonderful health benefits through supplementing with hydrolysed gelatin/collagen, which is rich in glycine and very supportive of the overall metabolism and health.

A whey shake with a meal each day can add some great protein to your diet (~20-30g). A few teaspoons of collagen in your morning coffee can also add ~20g of protein to your diet.

You can build a great physique, we are all doing this, many are great sources of information here and can help you.

Of the active posters here, several have thoughtful contributions to make on training, diet, and so on.

You will have to have good protein intake and you will need to train hard. We want to be successful, so we put in our grind.

MAC

Lonely_Rottweiler said:
Are protein shakes the equivalent of bodybuilding on easy mode or just extra calories? I'm considering buying some whey, so I'm evaluating if it's a wise investment...

What are your experiences if you have?

Protein is protein, you wont get any more benefit from getting it from a shake opposed to food. What I personally find is its far more convenient to have a shake than it is to always cook a high protein meal. I guess it all depends on the amount of calories you're eating per day and your schedule/will to cook often.

If you're eating allot of calories I recommend 'bulk shakes' eg scoop of protein powder, peanut butter and oats. I have one of those most days and its an easy way to get in 700+ cals depending on the portion sizes of course.

As far as your body is concerned, it doesn't matter where you get your protein source.

The clear benefit of protein powder is how easy it is to get in and extra +20g to +40g of protein by drinking 1 cup of fluids.

Back