Ed’s 365 Gym Project - Back on track!

Ed_ said:
Big update here: The past few weeks have gone very well at the gym -- no significant issues with lifting, pain, injuries, diet, or morale.

I’ve made a couple changes:
  • Lowered the weights that I’m lifting and increased the rep range to 16 to 20 reps for each set. This is probably the biggest difference. I think high weights was causing most of my injury issues.
  • Minor exercise replacements: Hack squat and leg press instead of deadlifts, front raises instead of overhead press, etc.
  • Reduced carb intake on non-workout days, while keeping protein high. I feel better, less bloated, and it’s easier to reduce my calories. Also meal prep is way easier (just grill some burgers or Instant Pot some chicken).
  • I’m working out with my trainer at least twice a week. This is giving me much better feedback and faster addressing any lifting issues I have -- instead of just texting my trainer after a bad workout. It kinda feels like I’m “throwing money at the problem” (about $100 a week for all this help), but I can afford it and it’s getting me the results I’m looking for.
  • It’s taken some work, but I think I have my trainer on my side. He really knows his stuff and I think the issues with him recommending the wrong stuff (too complicated routines, diet, etc) were just growing pains as he got to know me.

I like the changes. I was always a fan of high weight (I just love lifting), but 16-20 and overtime increasing weights is absolutely fine. I WOULD try to find some exercises that click a little better with your body to do some lower reps higher weights if possible - it is just another type of stimulus that can make you more efficient at using those muscles

It's funny how different we all are - for weighted exercises like squat I have way more problems with high volume. Also deadlift works great for me and squat is what I'm finally starting to get to do pain free.

Anyway, awesome you found what works for you.

while we're here (and since you've talked about having to remove overhead press), i want to suggest trying out a swiss bar for pressing movements. I was unable to press for the last 11 weeks of 2020 because of shoulder issues, but in 2021 with a swiss bar I have had no issue pressing 5x/week. it's really rejuvenated my training in a huge way, which has had knock-on effects for my mental health.

if your gym doesn't have one, you might want to join a gym that has one. you can try it out for the price of a drop-in session (usually $5 or free as far as I've seen).

being able to press is probably just as good a use of your money as regularly corresponding with a trainer

enjoyablehat said:
I WOULD try to find some exercises that click a little better with your body to do some lower reps higher weights if possible - it is just another type of stimulus that can make you more efficient at using those muscles

I do heavier weights and lower reps when I'm doing sessions with my trainer and have his feedback and support. That's been working out.

nipple-flip said:
i want to suggest trying out a swiss bar for pressing movement

I've been using a Kabuki Kadillac Bar, or sometimes a bent bar, when doing bench press. That's been working out really well.

Back