colgate's training log - mouse to bulldog

Didn't post for the past few days because I psyched myself out, however I did record my calories.

I've found counting calories is hard when I sometimes eat food from out, which I often do, so hopefully I'm not over/undershooting

Saturday 01/01
Calories: 2777
Protein: 219g
Carbs: 193g
Fat: 122g

Sunday 01/02
Calories: 1811
Protein: 95g
Carbs: 190g
Fat: 74g

Started recording my workouts with an app, rather than trying to remember them.
Monday 01/03
Bench Press 105 - 12/12/11
Incline DB Press 30 - 12/12/10/4/7
Overhead Press 60 - 12/8/10
Chest Fly 20 - 12/12/7/5
Skullcrusher 15 - 12/12/11

Weight: 141.4lbs

Monday 01/03
Calories: 2554
Protein: 131g
Carbs: 264g
Fat: 107g

Tuesday 01/04
Pullups - 12/6/7
DB Rows - 45x13/40x13/40x12
Upright Rows 60 - 12/12/10
Curls 45 - 12/12/12

Sorry, I knew this was going to happen at some point. I was eating my calories and lifting for some days. Logged it in my phone so now I'll post:

Wednesday 01/05
Calories: 2403
Protein: 88g
Carbs: 219g
Fat: 119g

Thursday 01/06
Bench Press 115 - 18/12/10/2
Incline DB Bench - 35x10/30x12/30x11/30x5
Overhead Press - 70x12/60x12/60x12

Was so sore after this I couldn't even do 1 rep of a 20 or 15 lb chest fly without being in pain. Probably a good sign that I actually went to failure lol.

Calories: 3063
Protein: 282g
Carbs: 196g
Fat: 124g

Didn't record calories over weekend or workout.

Let's go on a long hiatus and come back 2 weeks later. Lolz.

So I've been at my parents' house for the past week and I've told my stepmom to make me 3 big meals a day. Haven't been crazy about the calorie counting but it's been a lot easier to eat a lot of food when my mom just makes it for me. Regardless, I'll try to post calorie counts.

Finally got around to signing up for a gym here and starting again. I was so pissed at myself this week because every morning I would wake up and be like ehhh, I'll sleep some more and workout later, and then eventually I'd just skip it.

I had that same thought this morning but I told myself "No, Fuck this" like I did with that half-asian chick in Phoenix. I was so mad at myself for always self-sabotaging with "not feeling like doing things". Additionally, I'm lifting such light weight and I'm pissed at how much stronger I'd have been if I could consistently go to gym + eat right.

Hopefully I can ride this energy for a long period of time. My new motto is literally going to be "No, Fuck this" when I can't get what I want due to malaise or demotivation.

Friday 01/21
Bench Press - 115x12/115x12/115x4/95x10
Incline DB Press - 30x14/30x11/30x5
Overhead Press - 60x12/60x7/50x9
Chest Fly - 15x22/20x12/20x12/20x11
Skullcrusher - 15x12/15x4/10x12/10x22

Lots of anger and frustration that like everyone lifts heavier than I do. I have a lot of insecurities with the size of my body and my strength (not necessarily height, although that's a factor too), in that I feel like a small mouse at all times. I keep looking at myself in the mirror and imagining what I could look like though and thinking about looking like that one day got me through the workout and my meals.

I wanna be a big tank and take up a lot of space lol.

Friday 01/21
Calories: 2817
Protein: 140g
Carb: 190g
Fat: 171g

Saturday 01/22
Weight: 141.0 lbs

Pullups - 14/8/5
DB Rows - 40x12/40x13/40x15
Upright Rows - 60x12/60x12/60x12
Curls - 45x12/45x12/45x14

Saturday 01/22
Calories: 2953
Protein: 263g
Carb: 141g
Fat: 144g

colgate said:

colgate said:

Dude, tell me you secret. Jugging protein shakes nonstop? Most days I struggle hitting 150

Also, I think that's much more than you need per your bodyweight. I've often heard your bodyweight in kg times 1.5-2 is the ideal number in grams even for heavy lifting. Everything on top just goes right out again

CainGettingLaid said:
colgate said:

colgate said:

Dude, tell me you secret. Jugging protein shakes nonstop? Most days I struggle hitting 150

Also, I think that's much more than you need per your bodyweight. I've often heard your bodyweight in kg times 1.5-2 is the ideal number in grams even for heavy lifting. Everything on top just goes right out again

Honestly I don't really pay attention to macros because they seem to balance out for the most part over a couple days. I think on average I'm getting 1.5xish bodyweight.

Here's a screenshot of what I ate yesterday (263g protein). Hopefully I'm not recording anything wrong.

Stick with it my man. In time it'll come. You're 140 pounds, 160 you'll feel like an imposing presence. A pound a month is 12 pounds in a year, 1.5 would be 18 pounds and 2 per month is 24. So something to think about. Won't happen right away but in time. And as you get bigger you'll get stronger. Look forward to seeing it all.

Sunday 01/23
Rest day for gym. Chest, shoulders, and biceps were still sore this morning but fine now.

Calories: 2426
Protein: 80g
Carbs: 192g
Fat: 129g

Now that my mom isn't cooking my meals and I'm not in a place where I can cook, I need to make sure I eat enough food.

--

I've thought about the advice given to me here about "clean bulking" and trying to stay lean but I just want to feel like a freaking tank. Potentially it might make me look far less aesthetic, but despite the acceptable level of muscle and maybe upper end of leanness (17%ish based on NotYourAverageNerd's analysis) I have, I still feel tiny and mousy, not far off from years ago when I was 125lbs and couldn't do a pullup. I'd rather first get strong and bulky like Master and then cut.

Just to further explain my issues with eating, every time I swallow food, my gag reflex wants to initiate and I have to tell myself I won't hurl if I swallow. This gets worse as the meal progresses. My mom used to basically shove food down my throat even after I was full as a kid. I'm not saying this to complain or whine, I just want to elucidate some of my problems.

If I got to a point where I felt huge and strong, it would alleviate this huge insecurity. I want to have a large physical presence. I know when I feel closer to this point, I could cut no problem.

colgate said:
I've thought about the advice given to me here about "clean bulking" and trying to stay lean but I just want to feel like a freaking tank. Potentially it might make me look far less aesthetic, but despite the acceptable level of muscle and maybe upper end of leanness (17%ish based on @NotYourAverageNerd's analysis) I have, I still feel tiny and mousy, not far off from years ago when I was 125lbs and couldn't do a pullup. I'd rather first get strong and bulky like @Master and then cut.

Just to further explain my issues with eating, every time I swallow food, my gag reflex wants to initiate and I have to tell myself I won't hurl if I swallow. This gets worse as the meal progresses. My mom used to basically shove food down my throat even after I was full as a kid. I'm not saying this to complain or whine, I just want to elucidate some of my problems.

If I got to a point where I felt huge and strong, it would alleviate this huge insecurity. I want to have a large physical presence. I know when I feel closer to this point, I could cut no problem.

This doesn't really make sense biology-speaking, though.

I'm pretty sure research has shown that you only need a surplus of a couple hundred calories a day for optimal muscle gain.
The amount of muscle you can gain per unit of time is determined almost entirely by your genetics, which means that every extra calorie you're eating beyond your genetic limit is just going to go to fat stores. Why intentionally gain fat and then have to waste future time burning it off later?

I think I posted this before in someone else's log:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PpOBfMTDTs

The genetics pill is a tough one to swallow. I remember the first few years of lifting, I was convinced that I was going to look like a god, and I would constantly compare myself to someone else. But the more I read about how much genetics are a factor, the more I've realized that I'm just a typical "hard gainer" with a lot of slow twitch muscle fibers (I was a cross country runner in high school). As a naturally skinny and lean guy, I'm guessing you have similar genetics to me. Obviously, don't let this dissuade you from training, but I think it's important to have realistic goals.

pancakemouse said:
Why intentionally gain fat and then have to waste future time burning it off later?

pancakemouse said:
But the more I read about how much genetics are a factor, the more I've realized that I'm just a typical "hard gainer" with a lot of slow twitch muscle fibers (I was a cross country runner in high school). As a naturally skinny and lean guy, I'm guessing you have similar genetics to me.

I don't think I've seriously bulked + worked out for a consistent and long enough period of time to know that I'm a "hard-gainer", nor do I know how many calories is excess and being stored as extra fat. The main "hard-gainer" aspect for me is that I literally can't keep up with a bulk diet. I'm perfectly happy eating 1500 calories a day and maybe an occasional binge.

For context, from January 2019-June 2019, I did stronglifts 5x5 from never lifting a weight in my life at 128lbs skinnyfat to around 145lbs. I gained up to 140lbs within 2 months and then the next 3-4 were slow. But I went from the barbell to 255/135/335 squat/bench/deadlift for 1 rep. I never really tracked my calories though and spent some days not eating much and other days literally 3+ hours trying to eat a single meal. I started brickwalling too because I was too focused on my stats and lost motivation to stay consistent. Likely the brickwall was from not eating enough.

Then I got a brief neck injury squatting 240 for 5 one day, and pretty much quit lifting. I switched to rock climbing 1-3x a week with friends and went from 145lbs to 137lbs. In that time, I also went from 7ish pullups to 15.

Pandemic hit and I started doing calisthenics at home. Didn't track what I ate again, but went from 15 to 26 pullups over 2 months. Maybe 137lbs to 140lbs.

Then I moved to Tennessee and didn't do jack shit for 6 months. Stayed at 140 but I think I was losing muscle and gaining fat.

Housemate was doing keto so I decided to do it for the lolz over 4 months. I actually enjoyed it somehow. Went from 140lbs to really cut at 128. I was also running 3-4 miles in the mountains everyday and eventually was biking 15-20 miles 3x a week up and down lots of hills. I was like damn. But one day I went whitewater rafting and some big guy brushed me aside to help pull up people from the water like "let me have some room to pull up people because I have more strength" This unleashed a huge insecurity in me and I realized it didn't matter how much my abs were popping and how defined I looked, I am tiny. So I quit keto and hit the gym again. I think when I joined the forums I was at 137lbs again.

Leading into my move to Nashville, I was pretty regular with the gym (you can see my old logs). I had a simple diet that allowed me to eat around 3000 calories a day. I managed to get my max bench from 135 to 185 over a few months (after also fixing my technique). Right when I left Nashville, I peaked around 147 lbs.

Then for some reason, when I moved to Austin I didn't go to the gym. By the time I started half-assing it again, I'd already dipped to 140. I specifically remember visiting Austin in October and doing 17 pullups but then it declined to like 12.

I don't really have a specific weight and time goal anymore because I don't know my body well enough to know what's realistic. But I haven't seriously put in lifting effort for a sustained period of time since I did stronglifts in college. I do know whatever I was doing in Aug-Oct was likely on the right track because I felt I was gaining a good amount of mass and strength. So I want to put that to the test and see what happens.

EDIT: Also based on the feedback I'd received here, I lowered my goal to 2500+. My BMR is 1900-2100 depending on how much I'm walking around approaching and working out so I think 400+ is a reasonable surplus.

I was talking a walk this morning and thinking about what I wanted to feel like. I want to be a fierce and husky bulldog. So that's my new spirit animal. I started as a mouse and maybe I'm a cat now, but I'll become a bulldog.

Monday 01/24
Bench Press - 115x12/115x12/115x7/95x8
Incline DB Press - 30x18/30x12/30x12
Overhead Press - 60x13/60x10/60x8
Chest Fly - 20x12/20x12/20x9
Skullcrusher - 15x12/15x8/12.5x8

I probably ate close to 3000 calories today thanks to stumbling upon the best restaurant I've been to in my life.

https://goo.gl/maps/qu2FxiaAaj7PpSZg9

The picture doesn't show you jack shit about what you're about to get into if you go here.

The windows are all painted black and I walk in at around 11pm. Immediately there's rainbow lights everywhere. Bunch of people doing karaoke. I see this random guy in the corner escalating on a waitress. WTF??? Like fondling her thighs and shit. She comes over to take my order and I order a $25 plate of beef noodles. They're playing dance music that Shazam can't pick up. I ask the waitress what the song is and she just says "it's Vietnamese music". I'll never hear this music again.

I get the noodles and it's a huge serving. Maybe for 2-3 people at least, I would say at least 1200 calories but no idea. It's literally one of the best meals I've had in my life. I scarf the whole thing down in like 20 minutes. Meanwhile, the waitress is going around to a couple of other guys and they're getting a little handsy with her. And then she goes back to the first guy and they kiss for a little bit.

I was feeling like I just walked into a Vietnamese exclave in California. I'm in a place worth living for. This is what I want my life to be.

Of course they only took cash. Walking out of there felt like walking out of a dream.

Tuesday 01/25
Pullups: 16/7/5
DB Rows: 45x14/45x12/45x12
Upright Rows: 60x12/60x12/60x12 (harder than last time somehow)
Curls: 50x12/50x12/50x10

Going to try logging food instead of calories. I pretty much have to exclusively eat out because I've been living like a nomad, and I have no idea how to estimate the calories for many of the things I eat.

Tuesday 01/25
Calories: 2660
Protein: 177g
Carbs: 240g
Fat: 111g

Wednesday 01/26
Rest day.

Chocolate Milk 14 fl oz
10" Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Squirt soda can
Super Chile Relleno Burrito

Thursday 01/27
Absolutely terrible time management and I skipped gym. And definitely did not eat enough (likely since I skipped gym).

Garlic Blue Cheese Burger, Fries, Hard Cider

Friday 01/28
Bench Press - 115x12/115x12/115x6/95x8
Incline DB Press - 35x14/35x8/35x12
Overhead Press - 60x12/60x9/60x8
Chest Fly - 20x12/20x12/20x15
Skullcrusher - 15x12/15x12/15x10

25g protein drink
Large Poke Bowl with ~3 cups of rice
Chile Relleno Burrito with chorizo, 3/4 finished

OK, sorry for the long hiatus.

I did a couple workouts I didn't log but then I dropped out for another week. This has already happened before since I've created this log.

As I said on my main log, I quit vaping and fapping which has motivated me to get my shit in order. That's still a WIP, but I knew if I just started working out again, I'd quit again within a few weeks and spin my wheels.

So I've signed up for a personal trainer, and we just had our first session this morning. The personal trainer is mainly to keep me consistent (literally paying someone to make me do something I don't want to do lmfao), but also just to guide me while I'm doing my reps and do my programming. Also he's going to keep me accountable for my nutrition.

I've committed to 12 weeks of personal training, so we'll see where that leads me. In the meanwhile, I'll be updating this log again.

Squat
75x8/75x8/75x8

Incline DB Press -> Pushups -> DB Rows -> Slow Pullups
(35x10 -> 15 -> 40x10 -> 5)/(35x10 -> 15 -> 40x10 -> 3)

Gunshows
10x7 low/5 sec hold/10x7 mid/5 sec hold/10x7 full

Back