rate profile pics

marcusRain

Hoping for feedback regarding my new profile pics. Fam & friends say they're great (and much better than what I had before), but I'm getting very few matches.

[ link removed ]

thanks

The quality is definitely very good, but they're pretty sterile and your style is pretty bland. Very 'dad'. Keep 2 and 5 (try and redo 5 so we can see the necklace, and I'm not sure if the v neck really suits you. Radical ?). redo 1,3 and 4 with better fashion. I know 6 and 7 are 'hobby' pics but you still look very stationary and boring. try golf mid swing? And a better group photo in a cooler setting and where you don't look so small

gonna write some off the cuff thoughts

agree with most of the comment above. you look like a soulless workaholic who is not very fun to be around + yea sterile dad

It looks like you tried to improve your style to dress trendier but it wasn’t done correctly and looks bad and try-hard. Fixing your style and maybe getting an edgier haircut would be first priority. I’m around a lot of 40-50yo+ physicians/lawyers and it’s pretty clear on sight who dates a bunch of 20-30yo girls and who doesn’t.

the hospital and dog photo are fine. The gym photo is at least dynamic and you’re obviously in great shape, but those horrible long shorts give you away as an ancient. Golf photo is extremely stiff. Meditation photo also just feels so stiff/white/sanitized. The ppl in the group photo look so bad that it’s better to seem like a loner

anyway, the good thing is that you yourself look good and style + photos are quick fixes. You need a couple of portraits in cool clothes (maybe one edgy and one more formal) by a good portrait photographer, a couple of hobby photos that aren’t so stiff and 1 group photo where it looks like attractive people (including at least one of your target demographic) are enjoying your company

welcome to reach out with any questions

Oh fantastic! Feedback much appreciated.

Wondering what specifically is bad fashion-wise in 1, 3, and 5?

marcusRain said:
Oh fantastic! Feedback much appreciated.

Wondering what specifically is bad fashion-wise in 1, 3, and 5?

The fit sticks out to me most in those pictures. Those shirts seem to fit your arms well but not much else. Very boxy around your torso. Some slim fit shirts are a must have

Same problem with the pants in 1 and the shorts in 4. Swap those for jeans that are less loose around the ankles and some nice fitting joggers.

3 I actually quite like as far as dog pics go. It’s very genuine. Not edgy at all though, so you’ll need to juxtapose it.

All in all I’d just say work on:
- Getting the fit of your clothes just right
- Making your pictures look more candid (most look posed, 2 is fine in this regard because of the context)
- Make your action shots more exciting

Beard + better haircut and I think you'll see your match rate increase a lot. Picture quality is good but your hairstyle is the fastest win at this point.

Rags2Bitches said:
It looks like you tried to improve your style to dress trendier but it wasn’t done correctly and looks bad and try-hard.

Shit. Well, absolutely it's been try-hard. Over the past couple of years I've spent $ thousands (about 30 new pairs of pants, 30-40 shirts, a dozen pairs of boots, a dozen pairs of shoes, several leather jackets, etc. etc...and much of it is designer. I think there was a lot of wasted money.)

Rags2Bitches said:
Meditation photo also just feels so stiff/white/sanitized. The ppl in the group photo look so bad that it’s better to seem like a loner

I laugh every time I read that (about the group photo). For a quick fix I took out the meditation photo, the group photo, and the standing photo (in front of the mural). That seemed to improve matches, and still left 5 photos.

Rags2Bitches said:
You need a couple of portraits in cool clothes (maybe one edgy and one more formal) by a good portrait photographer, a couple of hobby photos that aren’t so stiff and 1 group photo where it looks like attractive people (including at least one of your target demographic) are enjoying your company

I will work on this, but my hobbies don't translate well to interesting photos.

I thought my fashion was reasonably cool in photo 5? It more or less follows Radical's guide. Well, other than I need to apparently get my shirts tailored.

Jake said:
The fit sticks out to me most in those pictures. Those shirts seem to fit your arms well but not much else. Very boxy around your torso. Some slim fit shirts are a must have

I hear you, and I had gotten a few shirts tailored, but I felt they were calling too much attention to just how thin I am. I'm really super thin, and I try not to draw attention to that. I've lifted for most of my adult life, and what little muscle I have, I put on years ago and plateaued long ago.

I'm thinking of incorporating some collared shirts to wear untucked over the T-shirts, like my man magic_fox https://www.instagram.com/p/BkS4D8SgyjQ/.

Jake said:
Same problem with the pants in 1 and the shorts in 4. Swap those for jeans that are less loose around the ankles and some nice fitting joggers.

Like, length-wise for the jeans? I can get my jeans tailored. But I won't wear skinny pants that hug my legs. I'm not a religious man but I'm praying for the day that goes out of fashion...

Jake said:
3 I actually quite like as far as dog pics go. It’s very genuine. Not edgy at all though, so you’ll need to juxtapose it.

Like, add some angry villagers w/ pitchforks and torches and such in the background? No srsly, any specific suggestions? It was a difficult shot and I'm hoping not to retake it, but I don't mind editing and currently have a subscription to photoshop & lightroom.

jackBruh said:
And a better group photo in a cooler setting and where you don't look so small

Haha. I'm mulling over adding myself into a cool group picture that I'll find online. Because, as we've decided, my friends scare the ladies. (I had success with changing the background of what was originally a bathroom selfie a few years ago when I first started using Tinder. And that was with Microsoft Paint...)

THANKS SO MUCH ALL. You guys rock.

i support the comments about a new haircut. try to find a more hip barbershop where they specialize in fades and things like that and go for something more modern. i think that could really help.

marcusRain said:
Over the past couple of years I've spent $ thousands (about 30 new pairs of pants, 30-40 shirts, a dozen pairs of boots, a dozen pairs of shoes, several leather jackets, etc. etc...and much of it is designer. I think there was a lot of wasted money.)

That does sound excessive but I'm sure some of that stuff is good. Here's what I want you to do-- take pics of the clothes/shoes you have like this and post them here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t6lte8rqxfh59ka/AAChU1dAKfrDdTWYPSRhwxg9a?dl=0
also take a few full body ones of how it usually fits together and I'll be able to recommend some combinations. I suspect you have more than enough of the right clothes for good photos/dates.

marcusRain said:
I will work on this, but my hobbies don't translate well to interesting photos.
That's not possible. As you can see from Andy's tinder photo inspiration article(s), any hobby including board games/golf/meditation/whatever can make a good photo if the photographer (and the model) know what they're doing.

That dog pic is fine, leave it as is. He meant juxtapose it with another more edgy photo.

Hire a couple of people or have a photographer hire them for the shoot if your friends are ugly. It'll be easier for the models to act at ease anyway. I've posted some easy examples of group photos to stage on this forum before, can re-post if needed.

awesome guys, thanks. Working on fixing the hair as we speak, and growing a beard to try.

Rags2Bitches totally going to take you up on that offer. Just gotta find the time to take the pics. Thanks so much

Gotta get on top of my A game b/c I don't have the advantage of a large city like you guys. Well, I'm right across the border with Detroit but crossing hasn't been feasible w/ COVID.

Rags2Bitches said:
That does sound excessive but I'm sure some of that stuff is good. Here's what I want you to do-- take pics of the clothes/shoes you have like this and post them here
also take a few full body ones of how it usually fits together and I'll be able to recommend some combinations. I suspect you have more than enough of the right clothes for good photos/dates.

Here we go:

[ link removed ]

Note that the pants are all actual pants--I folded the legs in the photos so they look like shorts.

Outfit4 is the only one with a tailored shirt. I see it does look better than the others, so I'm going to get the shirts all tailored.

There's a navy blue leather jacket too but that's being tailored. But I'm actually mulling over switching to a different jacket type than leather but haven't decided.

Still thinking about getting some collared shirts to wear on top of the T-shirts. I'd like something warmer in the winter.

anyway, thanks again

how tall are you? the t-shirts look a bit long for your torso. i started buying clothes from a "for short men" manufacturer and everything fits me 1000x better, especially t-shirts.

good on you for making the moves and getting your shit tailored.

nipple-flip said:
how tall are you? the t-shirts look a bit long for your torso. i started buying clothes from a "for short men" manufacturer and everything fits me 1000x better, especially t-shirts.

good on you for making the moves and getting your shit tailored.

6' 1".

Thanks. Maybe I should get them shortened.

marcusRain said:
Rags2Bitches said:

Here we go:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Qn-V9xul_SpoCSLp9jwBsSpgZ9pIsneT?usp=sharing

Note that the pants are all actual pants--I folded the legs in the photos so they look like shorts.

Outfit4 is the only one with a tailored shirt. I see it does look better than the others, so I'm going to get the shirts all tailored.

There's a navy blue leather jacket too but that's being tailored. But I'm actually mulling over switching to a different jacket type than leather but haven't decided.

Still thinking about getting some collared shirts to wear on top of the T-shirts. I'd like something warmer in the winter.

anyway, thanks again

yea i don’t know why you have so many items with so little variety (even when i went out 3-4 times a week i had 3-4 pairs of jeans) but most of this stuff looks good enough.

i would wear the boots and not the sneakers for most of these leather jacket outfits and wear sneakers with hoodies or a different type of more street style jacket

the glaring issue here (already mentioned above) is that the t shirts don’t fit well. the length is probably fine, although i can’t completely tell by the pics cause you keep tucking them in for some reason. there’s waaay too much room around the waist though. very easy to tailor. you have the narrow chest/big arms body type and the way the t shirts hang loose around your waist only exacerbates that.

wearing collared shirts instead of t shirts is fine (like all saints, check out my man philsancho on insta) but i wouldn’t use them as a jacket over the t shirt. there are better jacket types esp for a cold place.

for now, i would focus on getting a few t shirts tailored to fit well and getting a decent photographer.

longer term, i raised my eyebrows at the “i don’t have the advantage of a big city” part. are you currently taking care of a dying parent? do you have children? if it’s just the inconvenience of finding another job at a hospital in montreal or toronto or something, i’d take some time to think about your priorities. the chances of you finding an attractive girlfriend with the qualities you’re looking for in a small town are laughably lower. obv trade offs to all of this— just depends on what you’re willing to sacrifice

Thats a big wardrobe. Best set of shoes ive seen from a newbie so far. Although seems to be a few superfluous options and the boots are little beat up.

You dont want to be tucking your t-shirts into your belt anymore.

Don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the v-neck shirts are making your neck look extra long. How do crew necks look on you?

Rags2Bitches said:
i would wear the boots and not the sneakers for most of these leather jacket outfits and wear sneakers with hoodies or a different type of more street style jacket

the glaring issue here (already mentioned above) is that the t shirts don’t fit well. the length is probably fine, although i can’t completely tell by the pics cause you keep tucking them in for some reason. there’s waaay too much room around the waist though. very easy to tailor. you have the narrow chest/big arms body type and the way the t shirts hang loose around your waist only exacerbates that.

wearing collared shirts instead of t shirts is fine (like all saints, check out my man philsancho on insta) but i wouldn’t use them as a jacket over the t shirt. there are better jacket types esp for a cold place.

for now, i would focus on getting a few t shirts tailored to fit well and getting a decent photographer.

k great, thanks for the fashion advice. I'll be getting things tailored shortly.

Rags2Bitches said:
longer term, i raised my eyebrows at the “i don’t have the advantage of a big city” part. are you currently taking care of a dying parent? do you have children? if it’s just the inconvenience of finding another job at a hospital in montreal or toronto or something, i’d take some time to think about your priorities. the chances of you finding an attractive girlfriend with the qualities you’re looking for in a small town are laughably lower. obv trade offs to all of this— just depends on what you’re willing to sacrifice

I'm a community physician and opened a private practice with a good friend, and we formed our own family health organization and a couple other physicians have joined. So I'm well-established. Plus I have a kickass loft that I designed myself which is in a 100+ year old building that has been converted to condos, but was a whiskey storage warehouse. It was relatively affordable in my city but would be ridiculous in say Toronto. And I'd be heartbroken to lose it! Anyway, it does come down to mindset: if I wanted to move, I could do it. But that's just not what I'm thinking about right now.

Radical said:
Thats a big wardrobe. Best set of shoes ive seen from a newbie so far. Although seems to be a few superfluous options and the boots are little beat up.

You dont want to be tucking your t-shirts into your belt anymore.

No huh? Hmm. Man I thought it looked cool tucking them in just in the front. So yet again, I'm reminded I just have no idea what looks cool. Anyway, thanks--I've already stopped.

TimmyTurner said:
Don't know if it's just me, but I feel like the v-neck shirts are making your neck look extra long. How do crew necks look on you?

Crap. That is something I did not think about.

Time for a quick update:

[ photos removed ]

I've retaken the office photo:

[ photos removed ]

(Original):

[ photos removed ]

I haven't done much editing yet other than just using the auto settings in Lightroom. But man, I'd say it's a big step up w/ the beard and the hair change.

I'm trying to get a cool 1st profile pic:

[ photos removed ]

Thoughts? My fave is the 1st one but it really shows I'm too thin. But in the other 2 I don't like my facial expression as much (plus it started to snow so there's spots on my coat & shirt I'd need to edit out).

Anyway, I was thinking my line-up would be: a cool 1st profile pic w/ good fashion, then the office pic, then the dog pic (using the original I already took), then the gym pic (have retaken), then a hobby pic (pending), and a group pic (pending).

Lamo I think some of this advice is crazy unapplicable. Why are we trying to make a middle aged man dress like some hipster 20 year old?

In any chance op these guys know more than me so take their advice. If you can please test, just the doctor, mediation and dog pic. Cut out everything else. I think being a fucking doctor is way more impressive than wearing rings with a combat jacket. But there’s only one way to find out.

I like the office pic #2, but I see the smile and I like it. Maybe play around with a smirk or try saying "yeah" to open up your smile, something I saw on tiktok maybe it'll help if not #2 is solid. Also beard is looking nice. Keep it.
#1 on the casual pics looks good. My first thought was "Oh shit he's got a gun!" but I'm just playing.
Keep it up man good work.

Adriel said:
Lamo I think some of this advice is crazy unapplicable. Why are we trying to make a middle aged man dress like some hipster 20 year old?

dude, come on. you could give great technical advice on pics as a photographer but why give online dating advice right now? these premises are bad but I don't have time to write an essay to refute them rn. consider:
- why do we even promote edgy style on this forum (regardless if it's for a 20, 40 or 60yo)? what qualities are we trying to signal? perhaps courage, in-crowd membership with cool sexy people, a healthy disregard for the opinion of mediocre ppl who get mediocre results, etc etc

posting this article here as an example, but Andy and Radical have written much more about this:
https://www.goodlookingloser.com/laid/fundamentals/looks-and-style/why-edgy-masculine-looking-guys-will-always-be-more-appealing-to-hot-girls?fbclid=IwAR0217mh88juoA-Yq-m3ppnJBXO2XrYpaQgfoeJPyAPHAPWGrgXBRHLPz7Q

- what qualities does being a doctor signal? perhaps financial security, dedication to helping others, reverence for a cool skillset, status in polite society, etc. perhaps those qualities don't fully overlap with and could be complemented by the qualities discussed in point 1?
https://www.goodlookingloser.com/laid/fundamentals/swag-factor/mr-juxtaposition

E.g., look at this 45+ yo guy I know with a private practice @juethelegend (on insta). I'm actually not a huge fan of his style or game, I think he relies on the "rich guy" thing too much as a crutch. I know several middle aged doctors who do it better, but they're more private and I'm not comfortable posting pics here. Still, this is a well targeted profile for young party girls. If he wanted a serious relationship with someone more introverted, he'd remove some of the party pics but it wouldn't just be pics of him being a doctor...

Back