Picture Feedback Megathread

GoodLookingNerd said:
MILFandCookies said:
Def opt for casual looking off to the side photos the most though. OKCupid did a study on their platform which they took down for some reason, but Playing With Fire did a breakdown of it which is still up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B8vxuyGhk

It breaks down the difference between results of looking at the camera versus not, plus the right or wrong facial expressions.

tl;dr, based on the data looking off with a neutral expression by far takes the cake.

Personally I like to have a couple with good eye contact, especially if you have a sexy fukkin smile, or a piercing smirk, but opt for mostly no eye contact with a neutral expression.

Do you think the order matters, e.g. if the picture with eye contact would be best as a first picture? I think foducossy mentioned how he prefers to have a picture with eye contact as the main one. My pictures with eye contact also get noticably higher ratings (top 5% vs usually 20%)

Tbh I don't know. I haven't tested it. Like you pointed out, I think some eye contact is great. The data shows looking off to the side works better, but I put in a few with eye contact too, because it feels more personal - but that's not based on hard data. Try it out a few ways and see what works!

GoodLookingNerd said:
MILFandCookies said:
Def opt for casual looking off to the side photos the most though. OKCupid did a study on their platform which they took down for some reason, but Playing With Fire did a breakdown of it which is still up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4B8vxuyGhk

It breaks down the difference between results of looking at the camera versus not, plus the right or wrong facial expressions.

tl;dr, based on the data looking off with a neutral expression by far takes the cake.

Personally I like to have a couple with good eye contact, especially if you have a sexy fukkin smile, or a piercing smirk, but opt for mostly no eye contact with a neutral expression.

Do you think the order matters, e.g. if the picture with eye contact would be best as a first picture? I think foducossy mentioned how he prefers to have a picture with eye contact as the main one. My pictures with eye contact also get noticably higher ratings (top 5% vs usually 20%)

I’ll tell you why I personally go for straight facing the camera for the first pic, with laser sexual eye contact. Firstly eye contact is hot. Secondly if the facial expression is perfect, you can look really good.

Also my face is very symmetrical, it’s an asset of mine. So I want to show that off, nothing to hide.

When you look to the side, most people usually look more attractive — the reasons are probably that it’s more candid, cool, and that the girl imagines you to be hotter than you are as she isn’t judging your face symmetry. You can also show off your best angle.

Also most pictures facing the camera are just bad because you need to NAIL the facial expression. You can’t have a forced smile. You can’t have a killer stare, too menacing. It really needs to be just perfect. I used Faceapp to do that and sought feedback from several people including an FWB and two dating coaches.

So for most people looking off to the side is better, it’s less likely to go wrong.

Makes sense. Ive got 2 eye contact pictures that are really good and candid. Ill use those and see if anything changes. 1 has shown promising results so far after 1 day

GoodLookingNerd said:
Makes sense. Ive got 2 eye contact pictures that are really good and candid. Ill use those and see if anything changes. 1 has shown promising results so far after 1 day

Feel free to tag me i future so I know to reply.

You only need one eye contact pic, pick the better one

foducossy42 said:
GoodLookingNerd said:

I’ll tell you why I personally go for straight facing the camera for the first pic, with laser sexual eye contact. Firstly eye contact is hot. Secondly if the facial expression is perfect, you can look really good.

Also my face is very symmetrical, it’s an asset of mine. So I want to show that off, nothing to hide.

When you look to the side, most people usually look more attractive — the reasons are probably that it’s more candid, cool, and that the girl imagines you to be hotter than you are as she isn’t judging your face symmetry. You can also show off your best angle.

Also most pictures facing the camera are just bad because you need to NAIL the facial expression. You can’t have a forced smile. You can’t have a killer stare, too menacing. It really needs to be just perfect. I used Faceapp to do that and sought feedback from several people including an FWB and two dating coaches.

So for most people looking off to the side is better, it’s less likely to go wrong.

How hard do you faceapp? I only add a closed smirk, i dont even change my skin texture or add a hollywood filter.

MILFandCookies said:
GoodLookingNerd said:

Tbh I don't know. I haven't tested it. Like you pointed out, I think some eye contact is great. The data shows looking off to the side works better, but I put in a few with eye contact too, because it feels more personal - but that's not based on hard data. Try it out a few ways and see what works!

Eye contact pictures are wonderful IF and ONLY IF you can do a seductive stare (more commonly known by zoomers as "the lightskin stare". One of my selfies in which i am doing it absolutely killed it on hinge. Usually looking off to the side is better.

rohanp said:
foducossy42 said:

How hard do you faceapp? I only add a closed smirk, i dont even change my skin texture or add a hollywood filter.

So I mostly just do it for the facial expression, but I also use the masculine filter for my first picture. I also do use colour filters and fiddle around with the brightness settings and stuff to get a nice vibe for the picture where I really pop. I fix skin blemishes too

foducossy42 said:
rohanp said:

So I mostly just do it for the facial expression, but I also use the masculine filter for my first picture. I also do use colour filters and fiddle around with the brightness settings and stuff to get a nice vibe for the picture where I really pop. I fix skin blemishes too
Hmm okay, what would be faceapp within the limits of catfishing?
Like, what all filters could you use and still look the same irl.

rohanp said:
Eye contact pictures are wonderful IF and ONLY IF you can do a seductive stare (more commonly known by zoomers as "the lightskin stare". One of my selfies in which i am doing it absolutely killed it on hinge. Usually looking off to the side is better.

A seductive flirty expression is great, though it's not that black and white. Eye contact photos are great to mix in with the "looking off to the side photos," be it a smile or even a more neutral expression. Eye contact gives more of a feeling of connection, as long as you do it in moderation.

I like to err on the side of looking away from the camera though, following what the data says.

rohanp said:
foducossy42 said:

It's not as black and white as "these filters are okay, these other ones are too much."

If someone who didn't know you looked at your original photo, and your faceapp-ed one, would they think you're catfishing? Or just covering up a few blemishes and making you look like you would on your best day?

That's the question I ask myself when I edit photos... make it look like your best day, maybe a hair better, but not so far that you'd never realistically look that good - judged by a hypothetical stranger.

MILFandCookies said:
rohanp said:

It's not as black and white as "these filters are okay, these other ones are too much."

If someone who didn't know you looked at your original photo, and your faceapp-ed one, would they think you're catfishing? Or just covering up a few blemishes and making you look like you would on your best day?

That's the question I ask myself when I edit photos... make it look like your best day, maybe a hair better, but not so far that you'd never realistically look that good - judged by a hypothetical stranger.

Precisely. rohanp you aren’t able to judge this for yourself. Send the original and the edited to your friends and ask if they think it looks too different.

And if you are with a friend in real life show them the edited picture and ask them if it looks like you.

You will think the changes are significant but trust me that’s cos you are so used to your own face. Others won’t notice. And strangers definitely won’t notice.

I’d say err on the side of overdoing the edits, and scale it back if results are poor (eg girls not happy with you on the date). I haven’t had issues.

foducossy42 said:
MILFandCookies said:

Precisely. @rohanp you aren’t able to judge this for yourself. Send the original and the edited to your friends and ask if they think it looks too different.

And if you are with a friend in real life show them the edited picture and ask them if it looks like you.

You will think the changes are significant but trust me that’s cos you are so used to your own face. Others won’t notice. And strangers definitely won’t notice.

I’d say err on the side of overdoing the edits, and scale it back if results are poor (eg girls not happy with you on the date). I haven’t had issues.

Yeah, i have. They said yeah. I have posted the pics here to (original vs face app).

rohanp said:
foducossy42 said:
Precisely. @rohanp you aren’t able to judge this for yourself. Send the original and the edited to your friends and ask if they think it looks too different.

Yeah, i have. They said yeah. I have posted the pics here to (original vs face app).

Full sentences please. I don’t know what you’re talking about with “they said yeah”. And if you want me to check original vs Faceapp, label it and send the link here.

As mentioned previously I’m very happy to help people. But make it easy for me because I’m not scrolling through this thread trying to find your photos to help you.

rohanp said:
foducossy42 said:

The masculine filter I don't think would classify as catfishing, it just slightly enhances your features. All my pics use it and all it did was just sharpen my face very slightly and straighten my hairline a bit. I think it dulls some light colors around you too. If you are still worried a lot of girls only choose angles for their pics that make them look good so you're not a hypocrite.

Stick with anything that when you look at a pic you still think it looks like you. So don't brighten up your skin too much, make your face a whole different shape, etc.

foducossy42 said:
rohanp said:

Full sentences please. I don’t know what you’re talking about with “they said yeah”. And if you want me to check original vs Faceapp, label it and send the link here.

As mentioned previously I’m very happy to help people. But make it easy for me because I’m not scrolling through this thread trying to find your photos to help you.
Okay, my apologies. I showed a friend of mine what he thought, and he said, yeah they look like me.

Here is what i did,just added a smirk
After faceapp:

Before Faceapp:
View attachment 1

rohanp said:
foducossy42 said:

Okay, my apologies. I showed a friend of mine what he thought, and he said, yeah they look like me.

Here is what i did,just added a smirk
After faceapp:
5271BB0B-D58B-480F-8AD0-D72E82C18FC1.jpeg
Before Faceapp:
CDCF1E95-C587-4692-B7FC-8A38D187624E.jpeg

You’re fine, you barely changed it. The masculine filter changes things more but even then not by much.

foducossy42 would these be good facial expressions to try and emulate? Trying to find a reference point

GN44 said:
@foducossy42 would these be good facial expressions to try and emulate? Trying to find a reference point

Not the third one. His eyes aren’t squinched.

I’d say 2 and 4 are the best. 1 is good too. Play around with it. Take lots of selfies on a tripod or take a video.

Tinder profile goes something like "Homeowner with a 20A farm, enjoy boating, hiking, ebikes, ... professional web developer .. "

I thought this boat picture was going to be a boost but I still get 0 results.

k314 said:
Tinder profile goes something like "Homeowner with a 20A farm, enjoy boating, hiking, ebikes, ... professional web developer .. "

I thought this boat picture was going to be a boost but I still get 0 results.

Read Andy’s tinder guide

Back