Picture Feedback Megathread

I dig all of them but pic 3 just feels special for IG

You can use all of them in 1 post if you can come up with a funny line (can’t think of one right now)

Ps screenshotting your insta for inspiration

Vamos said:
Hey, I was contacted by a hobby photographer on instagram a month ago and got a free shooting. I think these three pictures are the best of the ones i got from the shooting. Which one would you find good for dating apps and especially instagram (my most important tool). I try not to have only "wanabe model pics" in my feed but one or the other should work. Here is a screenshot of my feed too. What do you think about making a slide with two pictures?

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

David-52.JPG

IMG_3225.jpg

Great stuff!

Your Instagram is fukkin great too man, good work!

1 is best for dating apps... it shows your face clearly and your general body shape too.

I don't like 2. Leaving your neck wide open is slightly effeminate body language. I tried to find the TED talk but couldn't... it has to do with how you're exposing the arteries in your neck, it's a subtle "I'm vulnerable, protect meeeee" thing. Similar but less intense than the limp open wrist that hot girls and gay guys do. Not your fault, I know that's not you - you're very masculine, I would just not do it.

I like 3, but you don't see your face clearly. Would be great for Instagram though.

My suggestion: Do #1 on dating apps as a first photo. Use #1 and #3 in a carousel on Insta.

ThePermanentFix said:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg7.jpg

Just looking for general feedback on looks/overall potential and if the first photo (black and white) is usable enough for profiles.

- Suit photos were when I was peak heavy at 106-7kg but are still probably closest to how I look now at 101.7kg, though my hair is a bit longer.
- Opera House is me about 1.5 years ago at about 95kg.
- Bottom one is when I was much younger and at 82kg.

I have fuck all for a chin/jaw profile and the weight makes it way worse. Also I'm pretty sure I have a 5-head

Heads up my feedback will be harsh. But the good news is you have a lot of room to grow, so the instant you start working on your profile, your results will jump up significantly.

None of these are useable.

It's a trope I hear from a lot of girls that guys have just selfies and professional pics from a wedding. Don't put professional pics that you got at a wedding... Sure they're good pics, but they're not a genuine look at what you're really like in your life. When girls hear what I do for a living they tell me their frustrations and this is one I hear from every single one of them.

The last one is closest to useable but it barely says anything about you.

Suggestions:
Look at Andy's Tinder Inspiration article and try to copy these photos: http://killyourinnerloser.com/inspiration/

Look at the guest post I wrote for Andy to learn a simple heuristic about what makes a good dating profile: http://killyourinnerloser.com/paparazzi-factor/

Check out these two videos from one of the most respected headshot photographers in the world about how to make your jawline waaay sharper, even if you don't have a great jawline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZeZaHSlMk

I can't wait to see how your photos evolve my man!

Hey, I had a photoshoot with Lord Rey at the end of August. Just two sets of pics, nearby castle, and pool pics.
The pics are not perfect and looking for usable pics for ig and dating apps.

Credit to Lord Rey for his photoshoot.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19uREopPluQ_86OYVfZXCyClmBmANZ1E7

filbko said:
Hey, I had a photoshoot with @Lord Rey at the end of August. Just two sets of pics, nearby castle, and pool pics.
The pics are not perfect and looking for usable pics for ig and dating apps.

Credit to @Lord Rey for his photoshoot.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19uREopPluQ_86OYVfZXCyClmBmANZ1E7

These are pretty badass. It's not often I see good dating profile photos out there.

My favorites (last 3 numbers in the filename):

Main 2 strengths: they look candid, and Lord Rey nailed the lighting on your face... split between bright and dark but not too much shadow so you can still see your face. Very dynamic and interesting, I try to do the same myself. It's a more advanced photography move, so when I see it I can tell the photographer knows what he's doing.

MILFandCookies Wow thanks for your nice comment, it means a lot to me coming from such a great photographer like you!

Actually, for the pool pics, I just did my best to balance the shadows in DxO PhotoLab as the lighting was very poor there, and I didn't have a flash for my Sony camera back then (couldn't use my Canon flash with my A7 IV obviously). Otherwise, I would have simply obliterated the shadows by bouncing the flash on his face lol. But yeah, I’m happy with the result overall.

Otherwise, my picks were:

But filbko didn't put all the pics from this shoot in his folder.

Lord Rey said:
But @filbko didn't put all the pics from this shoot in his folder.

I had an open mouth in some pics, a cheesy smile, looking in the wrong direction, or just did not like myself so therefore I did not put these pics :)

mikkel said:
I've sent a few photos to my friends gf's and their friends. None of them chose my smiling photos and one of them actually gave feedback: There has to be spark in the smile, otherwise no smiling haha.

Anyways, thats why I dont have any smiling pics at the moment. Girls love my hair and thats why I want to show it somehow, my last profile had laying bed pic aswell but this one is just better quality.

No shirt pic is over 4 years old, had it in my last profile and it was the most right swiped pic....lol. Not sure if I should use it anymore or not. My ex was going to swipe left cuz of that pic but then she saw my funny GIF and chose to swipe right.

Ummm and I actually started rock climping this summer but that guy in the pic is not me LOL, looks like me though. Use it or not?

Yeah, feedback is welcome. Imo I look arrogant in most pics but you decide that. 3/4 of the pics taken by canon eos R by me hehe, quality looks bad here.

Took the feedback, used Nike photo, dog photo, river photo, white shirt photo and climbing photo.

I'm not happy with the results, 2 weeks in and 25 matches and now I just dont match with anyone (I'm picky asf). Still 99+ likes but no more matches. My older profile was worse than this but I had that shirtless photo in it and I was drowning in matches.

Anyways, I WANT TO LOOKMAXX more. I know I have the potential. I find girls with tattoos a little bit disgusting so I think ink is not option for me if I dont want ink girls?

So how about start with earrings, Yes/No?

My hair is thinning very fast also (doctor found nothing related to this) so in the future it might be that I have to cut my hair ;( ! Maybe earrings would save my looks a little?

mikkel said:
My hair is thinning very fast also (doctor found nothing related to this) so in the future it might be that I have to cut my hair

Check out september s log. He just made a post about hair loss and it’s very informative

mikkel said:
mikkel said:
I've sent a few photos to my friends gf's and their friends. None of them chose my smiling photos and one of them actually gave feedback: There has to be spark in the smile, otherwise no smiling haha.

Anyways, thats why I dont have any smiling pics at the moment. Girls love my hair and thats why I want to show it somehow, my last profile had laying bed pic aswell but this one is just better quality.

No shirt pic is over 4 years old, had it in my last profile and it was the most right swiped pic....lol. Not sure if I should use it anymore or not. My ex was going to swipe left cuz of that pic but then she saw my funny GIF and chose to swipe right.

Ummm and I actually started rock climping this summer but that guy in the pic is not me LOL, looks like me though. Use it or not?

Yeah, feedback is welcome. Imo I look arrogant in most pics but you decide that. 3/4 of the pics taken by canon eos R by me hehe, quality looks bad here.

Took the feedback, used Nike photo, dog photo, river photo, white shirt photo and climbing photo.

I'm not happy with the results, 2 weeks in and 25 matches and now I just dont match with anyone (I'm picky asf). Still 99+ likes but no more matches. My older profile was worse than this but I had that shirtless photo in it and I was drowning in matches.

Anyways, I WANT TO LOOKMAXX more. I know I have the potential. I find girls with tattoos a little bit disgusting so I think ink is not option for me if I dont want ink girls?

My hair is thinning very fast also (doctor found nothing related to this) so in the future it might be that I have to cut my hair ;( ! Maybe earrings would save my looks a little?

So ur derm doesn't think its hair loss?

Seriously though do something about that shit. Minoxidil and finasteride are your friends. Also derma stamping if need be.

MILFandCookies said:

Thanks man, your reply was really helpful. I've seen your post before. I just pulled up whatever I had lying around for now, which isn't much at all. I also watched the Youtube videos you linked and they seemed like some good tips. For now I will try and copy the inspiration ones until I can get someone to help me take photos with my older mirrorless. That is a fair point regarding weddings as well. Will factor all these in and try again.

GN44 said:
mikkel said:

So ur derm doesn't think its hair loss?

Seriously though do something about that shit. Minoxidil and finasteride are your friends. Also derma stamping if need be.

Its not hair loss, its hair thinning. I dont have any extra hair in my brush or on my floor. The hair is just thinning like crazy in a few months. I've done some research and conclusion so far is that the stuff that works is something you have to take forever. Also the hard stuff fucks up with your hormones.

Hey,

Today I tried to recreate the fitness photo I posted last time with a form fitting shirt. This time I had another friend with me for shooting them. Because his lack of experience with a camera, a lot of them were not really usable. I selected a couple of them I think that are salvageable with a little bit of editing. They can be found here as unedited JPG-versions of the raw photos, next to the original one I tried to recreate.

Things I already noticed:
  • The mess in the background. Hopefully I can edit that away.
  • Some framing of the photos are a bit weird, but that should be an easy fix with some cropping and rotating.

I am curious which one is usable. I'm also curious in what (pose, facial expression, photo composition, lighting, etc.) I can improve next time. Be brutally honest as possible with the feedback.

MisterE said:
Hey,

Today I tried to recreate the fitness photo I posted last time with a form fitting shirt. This time I had another friend with me for shooting them. Because his lack of experience with a camera, a lot of them were not really usable. I selected a couple of them I think that are salvageable with a little bit of editing. They can be found here as unedited JPG-versions of the raw photos, next to the original one I tried to recreate.

• Some framing of the photos are a bit weird, but that should be an easy fix with some cropping and rotating.

I am curious which one is usable. I'm also curious in what (pose, facial expression, photo composition, lighting, etc.) I can improve next time. Be brutally honest as possible with the feedback.

It’s an action shot, it should require action and intention.

You should aim to look like a sexy man doing a heavy high effort exercise, right now you give of the look “hey look girls, I go to the gym check how I squint like a model at the camera”

Kyrg said:
Wish I was. I am from Romania, but I am down to pay for a photo shoot if there are any dating photographers from around here.

I don't know any in Romania. But S3nga is in Poland. And if you're able to travel farther, one of the best photoshoots I've ever had was in Milan.

ThePermanentFix said:
MILFandCookies said:

Thanks man, your reply was really helpful. I've seen your post before. I just pulled up whatever I had lying around for now, which isn't much at all. I also watched the Youtube videos you linked and they seemed like some good tips. For now I will try and copy the inspiration ones until I can get someone to help me take photos with my older mirrorless. That is a fair point regarding weddings as well. Will factor all these in and try again.

Hell yeah happy to help man. Curious to see how the next batch comes out.

kratjeuh said:
MisterE said:
Hey,

You should aim to look like a sexy man doing a heavy high effort exercise, right now you give of the look “hey look girls, I go to the gym check how I squint like a model at the camera”

Seconded. You're trying to copy the pose, but it's 99% likely the original photo was the guy in motion. He was either walking with the plates in his hand, or steping forward, then backwards, then forwards, etc.

He was in motion, you were not. That's clear in your photos - when people are in motion, they balance themselves differently. Subtle differences in the angles of your limbs, the direction of your arms etc. cue our brain to know how someone is moving in a photo.

You're just standing on your leg, which looks posed and fake. Try to recreate the photo but be in motion this time. It looks like you wanted to copy the photo with 0 difference... Don't focus on copying the angle of his legs and his pose exactly - he's likely using a different focal length too (looks like 70-ish mm at a glance) so you won't be able to make it look exactly the same. Just focus on using it as inspiration and doing something similar.

Also tone down the lighting a bit, that'd match the vibe of the first one better.

MILFandCookies said:
kratjeuh said:

Seconded. You're trying to copy the pose, but it's 99% likely the original photo was the guy in motion. He was either walking with the plates in his hand, or steping forward, then backwards, then forwards, etc.

He was in motion, you were not. That's clear in your photos - when people are in motion, they balance themselves differently. Subtle differences in the angles of your limbs, the direction of your arms etc. cue our brain to know how someone is moving in a photo.

You're just standing on your leg, which looks posed and fake. Try to recreate the photo but be in motion this time. It looks like you wanted to copy the photo with 0 difference... Don't focus on copying the angle of his legs and his pose exactly - he's likely using a different focal length too (looks like 70-ish mm at a glance) so you won't be able to make it look exactly the same. Just focus on using it as inspiration and doing something similar.

Also tone down the lighting a bit, that'd match the vibe of the first one better.

You are right, I was less in motion then last time. I was indeed focused a lot on trying to recreate the pose I did back then.

he's likely using a different focal length too (looks like 70-ish mm at a glance)

That is odd, because we've used the exact same camera (canon eos RP) and lens (50mm 1.8) as last time. The only difference is that the original photo is post processed and cropped (4:5) for Tinder. The other photos are not.

Also you are referring to the person in the original as "he" which got me confused a bit more. "He" is me from a month ago. You even provided some feedback, but I understand if you already forgot.

This time I made sure that the room was a bit more lit, because I got a lot of noise last time on my photo. I was planning to reduce the lighting in post to recreate the feeling of the first shoot. Maybe you have some tips for shooting in a setting where the room is not so lit but where you still keep the noise to a minimum? Maybe I can accomplish this by using a studio lamp or an octabox?

I appreciate the feedback guys! I will work on it.

MisterE said:
You are right, I was less in motion then last time. I was indeed focused a lot on trying to recreate the pose I did back then.
Yup. Try to recreate it but also move

MisterE said:
MILFandCookies said:
he's likely using a different focal length too (looks like 70-ish mm at a glance)
That is odd, because we've used the exact same camera (canon eos RP) and lens (50mm 1.8) as last time. The only difference is that the original photo is post processed and cropped (4:5) for Tinder. The other photos are not.
This makes a lot of sense. I could get all geeky on you and explain it but it'll be hard over text. When you crop an image, you're making it the equivalent of a more telephoto lens... said in different words, a certain part of the center section of a 50mm photo is equivalent to an 85mm photo.

It won't be as high quality as using that actual lens, but optically (the amount of distortion, flatness, etc.) it'll be equivalent.

Since you cropped in a bit on a 50mm photo, it would be equivalent to a more telephoto lens (70mm-ish by my estimation.)

MisterE said:
Also you are referring to the person in the original as "he" which got me confused a bit more. "He" is me from a month ago. You even provided some feedback, but I understand if you already forgot.
I'm such an ass - my bad on that. Been through a lot this past month. I was wondering why you looked so much like the guy in the first photo 😂

MisterE said:
This time I made sure that the room was a bit more lit, because I got a lot of noise last time on my photo. I was planning to reduce the lighting in post to recreate the feeling of the first shoot. Maybe you have some tips for shooting in a setting where the room is not so lit but where you still keep the noise to a minimum? Maybe I can accomplish this by using a studio lamp or an octabox?

You can't change lighting in post. Well there are ways to fake it, but they require a lot of artistry and are waaay to time intensive (think CGI, digital artistry) or are not quite good enough to pass as real (AI tools.)

You can change contrast, highlights/shadows (to an extent before it looks over-edited,) the general amount of light or darkness (exposure) but actually changing what kind of lights are on in the room is either extremely time intensive, or won't quite pass as real.

You can learn a lot about lighting and find ways to increase the amount of light in the room without changing how it looks on the subject. That takes a lot of skill, and frankly is not a skill I've invested in (my lighting knowledge is basic, since I take most of photos in public with a portable LED panel the size of an iPhone 15 Pro Max)

There is a solution for you though, and that is using AI denoise tools. They are great at denoising images without taking away the detail.

Lightroom has a new AI Denoise feature, as does Topaz Labs. I've used both, and they're both fucking great. If you use lightroom, make sure to use the AI Denoise feature, not the normal denoise feature. The latter will take away all the texture and detail and make everything way too "soft."

Also, try not to raise the ISO above 1600 on the EOS RP. That's what's making the noise. You can... maybe up to 2500 if you really really need to, (and then make sure you use the AI Denoise afterwards,) but keep 1600 as your upper limit in your mind, and adjust the shutter speed (1/160 maximum) and the aperture (1.8 or lower if you upgrade your lens at some point) to let more light in.

I see from the metadata you're using Aperture Priority mode... learn to shoot in Manual. That way you'll have more control in low light... your camera is probably making the ISO decisions for you, and it's going way too high - or it's making the shutter speed way too long and you're getting blurry photos. If you're in Manual mode you have control over all of this, and it's not as difficult as it seems.

Hope that helps.

MILFandCookies said:
I'm such an ass - my bad on that. Been through a lot this past month. I was wondering why you looked so much like the guy in the first photo 😂

Haha no worries. I hope all is going well.

I see from the metadata you're using Aperture Priority mode... learn to shoot in Manual. That way you'll have more control in low light... your camera is probably making the ISO decisions for you, and it's going way too high - or it's making the shutter speed way too long and you're getting blurry photos. If you're in Manual mode you have control over all of this, and it's not as difficult as it seems.

I was indeed shooting in Aperture Priority mode, because the friend I had around this time was not experienced with a camera. I capped the ISO at 1600 and made it so the shutter speed stayed at a maximum of 1/250. I think I will re-shoot the pictures tomorrow on my own with a tripod and go back to full manual.

Also thank you for the lighting tips. Those are really valuable. I will report back when I have something to show.

Back